Bed bugs can be blamed for countless bites, bed sheet stains, ruined mattresses, and furniture invasions. Not to mention the sleepless nights, furniture replacement costs, social stigma, and emotional stress.
How do you get bed bugs?
Bed bugs can be found anywhere and they feed on human blood. When one person gets bed bugs in a home, these pests can spread to find even more human hosts in a matter of just a day or two. Effectively treating this pest requires a very specific plan, which we help put together for you.
People often spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on various grocery-store or Internet-advertised “treatments” that may offer some temporary relief. Then the pests return and resume biting again, only this time with the “new” generation that survived the treatments!
They love to travel, but there are some things you can do to protect yourself from a bed bug invasion:
- Pre-treat any luggage or suitcases that you will be using. We carry several products for this, including a ready-to-use spray for under $10.
- In hotels especially, be wary of exactly where you set your luggage. Immediately place luggage in bath tub/shower. Don’t put anything on the beds, couches, and chairs.
- Strip back all 4 corners of the bedding. Inspect right down to the mattress itself, looking for brown/red staining, or any movement at all. Inspect along the edge/flap, looking into the mattress folds, as well as furniture seams and curtains. Contact the manager if you find any signs of bed bugs and request a different room.
- Inspect bedding anytime you get bitten in bed. Maybe you did get a bite, but if you can’t see the bug, it’s harder to diagnose the proper treatment. Perhaps it was a spider, mosquito, a flea, or some type of mite. Try to find what bit you. Not sure what you’re looking for? Click here to learn How To Tell If You Have Bed Bugs.
- If you know you are going to be traveling, you should also pre-treat your luggage (we will show you what you can use). This will keep bugs out of your luggage.
- As soon as you get home, put your suitcase in the garage or another isolated spot. Unpack while watching for any activity, then wash your dirty clothes in the hottest water possible and dry at a high heat setting for at least 30 minutes.
Bed bug treatments by a professional can cost up to $5000! Now that we’ve answered the question, “How do you get bed bugs?” you should also know that we carry the best products available for much less and we have the know-how to show you exactly how to use them. The earlier you can treat for bed bugs, the less chance they will have to spread to more rooms…and more hosts!
Come see us at any of our five Valley-wide locations, 6 days a week, and we can help you travel safely.