Bed bugs can be found anywhere and they feed on human blood. When one person in your home gets bed bugs, they can spread to find even more human hosts in a matter of just 24-48 hours or so.
Professional bed bug treatments can cost up to $5000! Knowing what to look for is very important.
What do bed bugs look like?
Adult bed bugs are light to reddish-brown, flattened, oval shaped (like a small apple seed) and have front wings, but no hind wings. Adults grow to 4–5 mm in length and 1.5–3 mm wide, but babies are only about the size of a speck of dust. The life span of bed bugs varies by species and is also dependent on feeding. Although adult bed bugs can live for a year without feeding, they normally try to feed every five to ten days.
Here are some tips to see if you have these little pests:
- Check the bed for signs of their feces: small, black, or dark brown dots on sheets or the mattress. (If you are in a hotel and find potential bed bug fecal matter, ask for a new room far from the original.)
- While bed bugs mostly hide out during the day, you may be able to spot the actual bug at night. (using a flashlight may be helpful.)
- Regularly inspect places where pets sleep for signs of bed bugs.
- In some heavily infested areas, a “coriander-like” odor may be present.
- If you suspect you’ve been exposed to bedbugs when traveling, clean out everything you traveled with. Vacuum out your suitcase and wash all clothes in the hottest water possible.
At Bug & Weed Mart, we deal with bed bugs and other pests every single day. Come into any of our 5 stores and let us help you take the proper steps to detect and prevent bed bugs from joining your everyday life!