Compared to bees, wasps are more hot tempered as they are a predatory flying insect. Therefore, they should be treated with caution. If you start seeing them swarming in and around your home or yard, it is likely they have a nest in your attic or somewhere in your garden. While you take steps to find the source and rid your property of them, you are at risk of being stung. In case this happens, we’ve put together some natural wasp sting treatments to help with the pain and lower the risk of infection. Before deciding which method of wasp sting treatment to use, remember that you should first remove the stinger, which you can do using tweezers.
Here’s our suggested list of 5 natural wasp sting treatments:
- Ice: Ice numbs the pain and slows blood flow, reducing swelling. For best results, apply to the wasp sting area for 20 minutes.
- Vinegar: The vinegar will neutralize the venom from the wasp sting. Soak the wound for at least 15 minutes. The acidity in the vinegar will also absorb through the skin to eliminate pain and discomfort.
- Honey: Ironically, applying raw or pure honey to the affected area lowers the risk of infection from a sting because of its antibacterial nature.
- Lavender essential oil: Its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties will help heal the affected area. Lavender oil is also known for its calming properties and will help relieve the shock of a wasp sting.
- Plantain: Although we’re all about eliminating weeds at Bug & Weed Mart, this broad leaf weed, which you’ll find sprouting around in most of the Valley’s neighborhoods is an effective wasp sting treatment. If you opt to use this for treating the sting, you will need to release the juices from the leaves. When the juice is released, press it against the sting and cover with a moist cloth for 30 minutes or so.
If you believe you are allergic to wasps, it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately after a sting.
To stay safe, seek professional advice before removing a nest from your property. Unfortunately, this is not a recommended D.I.Y. task and it really requires a pest control expert. However, Bug & Weed Mart does sell effective products that allow you to kill wasps from a safe distance, so come in to any of our 5 Valley-wide stores to see how we can help you get rid of wasps.